Sharing God’s Grace and traditional Christianity with an LDS friend, neighbor, or family member can be a challenge and it doesn’t take most of us long to discover that if we’re going to present our faith clearly and effectively, we’re going to need some help… and possibly a new perspective. That’s where “Bridges”, a curriculum distributed by the Western Institute for Intercultural Studies comes in. In five sessions, participants begin to understand:
- The Legacy of the LDS Church – How did it begin? What shaped its culture and attitudes? Which forces are influencing it as its members’ journey into the future?
- The Theology of the LDS Church – How do its doctrines differ from traditional Christianity? What influence do its teachings have upon the daily life of members?
- The Journey out of the LDS Church – What obstacles face those who question and ultimately leave the church? In what ways does traditional Christian community help or hinder these immigrants?
- Bridging the Gap – How can Christians clarify key doctrines of the faith for those who use the same vocabulary, but assign it with different meanings? How can our own “faith experience” aid believers in effectively sharing the Gospel with their LDS friend?
- Community of Grace – In what ways can Christians help former LDS church members’ transition into Biblical Christianity?
Workbooks coupled with group discussion and DVD interviews with former LDS church members help students begin to thoughtfully process the difference between the Mormon faith and traditional Christianity while at the same time teaching believers to “speak the native language” of the Deseret. Throughout the course, participants will learn to better understand what drives their LDS friends as they learn to more clearly and effectively communicate their own faith.
I highly recommend the curriculum to anyone who is ready to take on the adventure of sharing the Christian faith within the context of this unique culture!
Facilitator’s Guides, Student Workbook, and DVD material are available for purchase at: http://www.wiics.org/seminars/mormonism-adult-training.