Last week, we focused on Preparation for Memorization. This week, we’ll go a bit further as we examine a few techniques for memorization. Try a few of these suggestions on for size:
- Find the rhythm. While not every Bible passage is poetic, most have a discernable rhythm. Taking the time to figure out the natural “beat” of the passage can make a big difference in your ability to recall the actual words. You may even try setting that beat to a tune!
- Write it out. There is something about printing words on a page which helps us focus our attention. As you transfer God’s Words from your Bible to a notebook or scrap of paper, you’ll be carefully considering their order and meaning.
- Draw it. While words convey meaning, we see so many words during any given day that it can be difficult to recall their context. Taking time to illustrate a verse with pertinent images can provide that context. Even writing the words with different colored pencils can provide your mind with the visual cue it needs.
- Find a study partner. Partners help keep us accountable and can help us through rough spots. Ask a friend or friends to share the memorization journey with you.
- Don’t give up. Like making the perfect burger or avoiding obstacles with a pallet jack, this is one of those things that we get better at, the more often we do it. It’s okay if it takes a week or even a month to memorize a single verse. The point is to guarantee that we’ll remember it when the pressure is on.
- Don’t forget to review! Set aside time on a regular basis to go over the verses you’ve learned. But don’t panic if you’ve forgotten a few. That’s normal. The goal is to keep all of your hard work fresh in your mind.
The more you memorize the more comfortable you’ll become with the discipline. As time passes, you may even discover or develop some techniques that are all your own! When you do, I hope you’ll come back and share them with us.
Next week, we’ll shift our focus from remembering God’s instructions and take a look at some tips for remembering the instructions that we’re given by our earthly bosses. Meanwhile, feel free to share tips you may have on either topic in the comment box below!